Starting University

Saturday 28 September 2013

I have just finished my first week back at university and, although I know most people will have already begun this academic year, I thought I would write a little post about starting university for the first time.
For most people it is the first time you will have lived away from home, the first time you will have to cook for yourself, the first time in a new city, the first time meeting such a huge group of new people and the first time studying on a university course. That is a lot of firsts and it can be really daunting, but also incredibly exciting! So here are a few tips:

1. Enjoy your first week. It may sound obvious but everyone is in the same boat. Don't be afraid to speak to people and make friends. There will be people in that you meet in the first week who you will be friends with for the rest of uni, and others who you may never really talk to again. Go out, experience what the city/town you're in has to offer because this is one of the few times you have absolutely no work to do!

Try and avoid sticking your tongue out in photos, it's not a good look..

2. Join sports clubs and societies. Try out new things. Go and sign up for that sport you've never heard of before! You never know until you try it out. Usually during freshers most clubs offer free or cheap taster sessions so there really is no reason not too. It's also another great way to meet people in different years and on different course and provides some of the best social nights of the year!


3. Don't go crazy on your first supermarket shop. I can promise that you won't need 6 different types of spices and there is not enough room in the cupboards for 5 packets of pasta! The temptation is there when you do your first own shop but my best advice is write a list when you go shopping and stick to it.

4. Actually attend your lectures and workshops. Self motivation is key at university. And it is so easy to not go to things if you're feeling a bit hungover or sleepy. But they really are valuable and the best way to learn what you need for your course. If you do go, try not to sleep through them..


5. Make use of your library and uni working spaces. I didn't do this until the end of my first year and wish I had done it earlier! There is space to work all over most uni campuses and you will soon find somewhere that suits you. Being away from your desk in your room means that there are fewer distractions. You can't get up and make some toast in the middle of writing that essay!


6. Find your nearest Nandos. They do great bean burgers and rice! And it makes a great place to meet up with friends and course mates outside of doing work.

x

2 comments :

  1. Great post! I kind of wish I had something like this when I started two years ago. It's nice to see tips that are actually helpful


    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the Edinburgh Uni open day today and I'm in love. I can't wait to start! Thanks for the tips :)

    Hayley

    Water Painted Dreams

    xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love to know what people think of my posts and will try and check out your blog and reply. So thank you for the comments! :)